Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Who are you?

When somebody asks you that question, how do you respond? Usually, I don't have a problem answering that question. I meet literally thousands of people and speak to groups and crowds all the time. Today I was got off guard and my standard answer of "I'm Jeff Searcy" caused me to think about how I answer people.
This morning at the usual Tuesday Morning Bunch gathering at Cracker Barrel (make sure you check out the TMB section of the soon to be live Servant Warrior Ministries website www.servantwarriorministries.com or visit www.tuesdaymorningbunch.com in the very near future for more info) with some of my dear Christian brothers and fellow servant warriors, we had a first timer, someone a few of the guys already knew, join us. I was telling him a little about the group and the men's ministry and he stopped me mid sentence and asked, "Wait a minute. Now who are you?" I was a little caught off guard and answered, my usual, "I'm Jeff Searcy." I told him a little about my coming to the area, my family's tour of churches, etc... But after I left breakfast and was headed to the office, I started thinking about my response and that he probably thought, "Jeff Searcy? Okay, so what. Again I ask...Who are you?" If I am honest with myself, I would admit that I may have thought the same in the same situation.
It made me start to think. What an arrogant response on my part. As if I'm somebody. I thought I should have responded, "I'm nobody, just someone heeding a call." But God quickly spoke to my spirit and said "You are somebody. You are somebody to Me. You were fearfully and wonderfully made. And you are Mine. And that makes you important. But I also call you to be humble in spirit (ref. Matt 5:3)." For many of us, even long time Christians, this concept of seeming contradiction is a hard concept to wrap our head around. I pulled into the office parking lot and just sat. You know, God speaks in the gentle whispers (see I Kings 19:10-18. It's awesome!). And it came to me. When someone asks me, "Who are you?"... My response should be, "I am a humble servant of the Almighty...with a vision." Now, being that I am on the high strung side of passionate, my response should be, "I am a humble yet highly motivated servant of the Almighty...with a vision." Either response accurately answers the question and hopefully sparks a couple of follow up questions like, "servant of the Almighty... what's that?" Or, "What do you mean, vision?" Oh, it's on now! That little opening is all a humble servant of the Almighty needs to share the Good News. I can't wait to try it out. Until next time... Keep it real.

No comments:

Post a Comment